Thursday, December 8, 2011

Other Cultures in the Classroom


How Do You Incorporate Other Cultures into the Classroom Through Art Making?

My cooperating teacher does incorporate other cultures into the classroom. Through my observation I have not seen her teach one specifically but she does use multicultural lessons. She does include specific projects that cover art and other cultures for each grade level she teaches. I believe she said that older grade levels (3-5) deal with more multiculturalism that the other grades. Two of the projects that she mentioned were Native American and Egyptian masks, which is usually done by fourth and fifth graders. Ms.R usually works with the social studies department when she integrates a multicultural lesson into her classroom. The way she does this is through communication with the social studies teacher about what material is going to be covered throughout the module. This gives her an understanding of what and how she can turn the material into a new lesson. She also uses the other teacher’s textbook to ensure that she has all the information she needs to create a thorough lesson that covers the other culture in detail. I think that I will incorporate multiculturalism into my classroom as much as possible. I believe that this is a great way to keep the students interested in the subject that the multicultural lesson covers.



No comments:

Post a Comment