Thursday, October 20, 2011

Why Art?


Why Choose Teaching Art as a Profession

During my last in- class observation my partner and I asked our cooperating teacher Ms. K, why she chose art teaching as a profession. She said that she had gained a passion for art and could not see herself going to “work” everyday without it relating to art. This was very reassuring to me because I feel the same way about art but at times I wonder if I am going down the right path. I also asked Ms. K why she chose to work with elementary students instead of other higher education and she replied by saying that she loved working with children and seeing how they perceive art at such a young age; also how the students grow artistically over the years in the art classroom is very rewarding for her. I can understand why she would think this, from my observation in the classroom it is very rewarding and I love watching the students work on there projects and asking them why they did a particular adjustment or change to their artwork. Also when a student asks for advice and I provide him or her with feedback it gives me a very positive feeling and makes me want to help every student get to his or her final piece. Like Ms. K, I feel the same way about art; I want it to be in my life everyday. I constantly want to be helping others grow as artist through my lessons, assignment, and other teachings. Of equal importance, I also want to keep growing as an artist and expanding my knowledge about art so that I can be the best teacher for my students. I believe that all teachers need to keep learning  everyday to be able to answer any questions that student may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment